[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Thu Nov 24 20:30:56 UTC 2016

Michael Meeks wrote:
> On 24/11/16 18:34, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
> > Can I have some code pointers from the last 5 years which shows when
> > it is "absolutely necessary" to break compatibility? To see when it's
> > acceptable to do such thing.
>
> 	I think its worth discussing it with the ESC if its significant.

Seconded. And if you look at the type reference history, you notice we
were trying really quite hard not to break published API. It can be
avoided almost all the time.

I'll repeat the point I made during the ESC here: there's a price when
one breaks things (API, work flows, interop) for users - beyond a
certain limit, they consider your project not worth using
anymore. Since the livelihood for a number of people on this list
depends on LibreOffice having more users, instead of having less, I
really rather feel quite strongly about those things.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten