Firebird 3 by default [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Nov 25 10:13:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 04:46:29PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

> * Release Engineering update (Christian)
>         + Late features:
>             + Firebird by default ?
>                 + lots of missing features & big bugs fixed recently. (Lionel)
>                 + all of the blockers that were mentioned on tracking bug fixed.(Lionel)

I went over
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=firebird
and added a few open bugs to the blocker bug
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/51780
based on their description (and NEW instead of UNCONFIRMED status)
only, without reading the bug log in great detail.

>                     + still not hyper-excited about it as default. (Lionel)
>                     + agreed, build issues on OS/X until recently (Norbert)
>                 => suggest to enable this on master for 5.4
> AI:                 + ask Tamás Bunth (Wastack) how he feels about it (Lionel)

Tamás, how do you feel about this? Do you agree with me/us that we
shouldn't but Firebird 3 as the default embedded database for
LibreOffice 5.3 yet? Shall we make the "big jump" right now in the
current 5.4 alpha (master branch), which would be a plan that it will
be ready (including enough time for beta-testers and fixing the bugs
they find and report) in 6 months? Feel up to it?

If you have any bugfix that is not in 5.3 and you think should be, I
encourage you to put the backport on gerrit. It can be as easy as
clicking "cherry-pick" on the gerrit change for master and indicating
there libreoffice-5-3. As usual, put me as reviewer. You can also
checkout a libreoffice-5-3 git tree on you machine, do the cherry-pick
there and then push it to refs/for/libreoffice-5-3 on gerrit.

--
Lionel