Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Oct 4 09:26:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 07:46:05AM +0200, Jan Iversen wrote:
> I use the gbuild-to-ide script regular, without problems. BUT it has severe
> limitations, it will not (and has never) made a visual studio project that
> you can actually build.
> [...]
> There is a ongoing project to enhance the script, and patches are welcome

The main trouble with all these IDE integrations seems that the output of "make
-np" on which it depends is not as stable between versions of make as
originally expected by that naive guy who did the initial implementation. Thus
the parser of that is both more fragile and more complex as it should be by now.

I have a half-finished patch that will make make write out how it intends to
build stuff in small (json) text files. Parsing _that_ should be really trivial
and not fragile. Also it might make possible creating:

1/ the possiblity of creating a IDE integration without a full build
2/ the possiblity to create MS Build solutions for some (non-special) targets,
   thus building like MSVS would.

However, for the most part, I dont think 2/ is a good idea anyway as:

a/ It would be an addition scenario to support, which is a pain
b/ we arent getting rid of needing cygwin with this anyway, so why bother?
c/ the hard part is in all the special casing and nasty custom logic, which is
   e.g. in scp2/ still -- not building a general C++ library.

So as long as scp2/ is still around, we shouldnt venture into 2/: As usual with
gbuild, the hard part is not building the new stuff, but cleaning up the old.

Best,

Bjoern