Merging feature/commonsallayout branch

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:36:48 UTC 2016

Hi *,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Jan Iversen
<jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> I would like to support tml in this view.
>
> If 5.3 happened to run in XP without additional code, no harm done in
> supporting XP.
>
> But we need to (unless I misunderstood things) add a setup variable as well
> as extra code (however little amount), and that is the limit for me.

Nah, other way round, until now that new feature has to be enabled
with the environment variable (and maybe will be switched to default
un upcoming builds leading to 5.3.0

So I think removing the old layouting code for 5.3.0 is out of the
question, so the old layouting code will be available anyway, so all
that's needed for 5.3 is to always use the old way and not harfbuzz.

> Let the 5.2 line be the last supported on windows XP.

I did understand Khaled's post as the old codepath would be nuked for
5.4, then there would be no way to run it anymore and killed off for
good.

I mean the new layouting code has not undergone widespread testing, so
it really doesn't make sense nuking the existing one for 5.3.0
already, while it has issues, at least those are known already. And
I'd like to wait for first alpha testing results with manually
enabling the switch (and comparing the results) before having it
turned on by default for the beta..

So 5.4 will definitely not run on Win XP anymore, and 5.3.x could, as
long as you don't force it to the new layouting code.

ciao
Christian