Merging feature/commonsallayout branch

Yousuf Philips ypharis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:01:22 UTC 2016

On 10/20/2016 11:07 AM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Is there any reason to believe that those clueless people who hold on to
> it will change their mind in any significant number by the time LO 5.4
> comes out? Or LO 5.5? They will hold on to it as long as the machine
> keeps working.

You know the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and most people
dont consider XP broke (me included) even if MS isnt officially
supporting it. XP is a lighter weight OS, so many people wont upgrade
because their hardware cant handle it. On the other hand, you still have
governments paying microsoft to still support it XP, so XP isnt going
away anytime soon.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/london-metropolitan-police-windows-xp-updates/
http://bgr.com/2015/06/24/windows-xp-support-us-navy-millions/

There are a number of Mac users who arent above OS X 10.8 for various
reasons, but as LO's Mac user base isnt as large as Windows, dropping
the support there in favour of a better toolchain and functionality does
make sense.

> But yeah, I know, the hardest thing in the FLOSS world is taking
> decisions that might annoy somebody.

Users will always be annoyed with things changing, even if it is for the
better.

> --tml

Yousuf