localization of ui

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 11:24:42 UTC 2016

Hi baigali,

Please keep the mailing list on Cc in replies, I'm re-adding that so
other people can benefit or jump in.

On Friday, 2016-10-28 10:37:43 +0800, baigali wrote:

> Yes, I
> added translations/source/mn-CN and
> added some traditional mongolian translations ,
> and it dose merged with code when i build, because i can select mn-CN in UI and when select it ,the translated traditional mongolian ui entry (above) is empty(win10) or tofo box(win7) .

By "tofo box" do you refer to rectangular boxes displayed instead of
a character? I assume Windows simply lacks those Mongolian script
characters in the UI font used.

> Is that means my build is actually using my translations but some problem occurs when merging my translations or when using vcl to show it?

I don't think it is a vcl problem but can't rule that out of course.

For merged translations results you could check the resulting resource
file in instdir/program/resource/*mn-Mong.res with a binary file viewer
if you can match somehow the part you translated to the resulting
module/resource, or the dialog translations contained in
instdir/share/config/soffice.cfg/modules/*/ui/res/mn-Mong.zip or
instdir/share/config/soffice.cfg/*/ui/res/mn-Mong.zip

> My recent goal is showing traditional mongolian horizontally left to right (in UI) just like english is OK, so I think vcl should already OK to handle this .?

I don't know what happens if you use characters of a right-to-left (RTL)
script and try to display them left-to-right instead. Some part of the
glyph layout might be confused at the end..

I hope I'm correct that Mongolian is an RTL script (written vertically
top-to-bottom-left-to-right which we likely don't support)? For RTL we
may have to add the LANGUAGE_MONGOLIAN_MONGOLIAN_* IDs to
MsLangId::isRightToLeft() in i18nlangtag/source/isolang/mslangid.cxx

> I also tried language tags like :mn-Mong,mvf-CN but result is just the same. mn-Mong-CN dont work, seems it can't use <--with-lang> with three part language code.

I doubt that is the reason. Have you tried a simple
--with-lang=mn-Mong-CN ? Of course the translation's source directory
name will have to match that tag. I'd still prefer the translation
without country code though, so --with-lang=mn-Mong

> actually ,I tried mn-Mong at first,with very little change to source code ,just added mn-Mong to /solenv/inc/langlist.mk , l10ntools/source/ulfconv/msi-encodinglist.txt

Please see i18nlangtag/README the section
"When changing a (translation's) language tag"
for what files *could* be involved. Though that section is about
changing a language tag it is an extensive list to point out where an
additional entry or change *may* be needed.

One question, is Mongolian in Mongolian script used more widely in
China, or in Mongolia? The Ethnologue website content is currently not
available so I can't look it up..

If it is China then reordering the LANGUAGE_MONGOLIAN_MONGOLIAN_CHINA
entry before the LANGUAGE_MONGOLIAN_MONGOLIAN_MONGOLIA one in
i18nlangtag/source/isolang/isolang.cxx would be appropriate, and adding
LANGUAGE_MONGOLIAN_MONGOLIAN_CHINA to svtools/source/misc/langtab.src to
have a default locale mn-Mong-CN match for mn-Mong, currently the
default locale for mn-Mong is mn-Mong-MN.

Just tell me which (or the website will be up again earlier;) and I'll
do the change.

  Eike

GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack