How to keep UNO applications connected after closing LibreOffice

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 09:53:12 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 08:30 AM, Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote:
> Am 19.09.2016 um 17:29 schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
>> On 09/19/2016 05:17 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote:
>>> It turned out we need to implement both. The first option was fine when
>>> only closing the window - but we also want to be able to close the
>>> visible frames with "File->Exit" while keeping the process running.
>> Do we?  I think there is probably a difference in what we can imply as
>> user-expected behavior between closing the last window (via "Window -
>> Close Window" or whatever desktop-environment--specific trigger) and
>> terminating LO (via "File - Exit LibreOffice").
>
> Well, with my patches, there will be a difference. Closing the window
> will leave the process running, and chosing File->Exit will kill the
> process.
>
> What I did change in my second patch is the behavior of File->Exit when
> using the TerminationVetoException.
> Before it prevented closing the windows *and* terminating the process -
> after my patch it only prevents termination.

But throwing a TerminationVetoException isn't something that the user
will be aware of.  Today, when doing "File - Exit LibreOffice", the user
is made aware that terminating LO does not work (because of external
connections and TerminationVetoExceptions) by the fact that its windows
will not close (whether or not that is a good way of communicating this
to the user).  In the future, the user would no longer be made aware
(while I think they should be, in whatever form).