Moving away from tools module

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 09:54:48 UTC 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 7:07 pm, Eike Rathke <erack at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
>> On Friday, 2017-04-28 08:36:19 +1000, Chris Sherlock wrote:
>>
>> - time.hxx, date.hxx, datetime.hxx and datetimeutils.hxx - these all seem to be better suited to the SAL, and actually should we consider moving to chrono?
>
> chrono is not a replacement as it doesn't offer the functionality of
> tools::Date and DateTime, only for Time.
>
> I don't care in which module the source code lives or what implements
> it, but I definitely want to keep the existing functionality.
>
> Problem with moving anything to sal is that we then guarantee stable API
> and even ABI to some degree as sal is part of the SDK, or have LibO only
> interfaces like with OUString.
>
>  Eike
>
> --
> LibreOffice Calc developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
> GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
> Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack

That's a fair point :-)

I believe there is a proposal to include Howard Hinnant's very comprehensive calendaring and Timezone library into the C++ standard:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0355r2.html

Nice things about this is that the app dusting library can process the tz database, and a number of other interesting things besides:

https://github.com/HowardHinnant/date/blob/master/README.md

Chris