Build failure with current master on MacOS

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 19:13:03 UTC 2017

On 16.08.2017 19:48, Shinnok wrote:

> Another question would be, if gettext is a hard dependency, why not
> fetch it during the autogen.sh just like libboost&co. are? Did anyone
> try to do that and failed for some reason?

the stuff fetched via download.lst has traditionally been only stuff
that is bundled into the installation set.

although in recent times build tools started to appear, in particular
validator jar files.

however make fetch can't be used to download anything that's required to
run configure and make, so no cygwin, make, or compiler.

whether anybody wants invest effort into writing the makefiles to build
gettext etc. on all platforms is of course an open question.

> Regarding doxygen, that is a requirement only for the UNO libs right?
> Then in this case we should either not make it a hard dependency during
> the configure stage or make it obvious that it needs to be excluded
> manually via --without-doxygen otherwise autogen.sh will fail. I'm more
> inclined towards the former, if there's no outstanding reason against
> doing so.

hopefully the error message printed by configure when it can't find
doxygen makes it obvious how to do the latter?

> I think it's important we get the default build working from top to
> bottom without pitfall, I already have mentee reports that tripped over
> this and never advanced, so I'd like to fix this.
>
> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac#Minimal_Setup

i was thinking that LODE was supposed to install everything
automagically but i don't have a Mac ...