Build failure with current master on MacOS

Shinnok admin at shinnok.com
Wed Aug 16 17:48:49 UTC 2017

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi> wrote:
>

> GNU gettext package is available in Homebrew.
>

> But we have traditionally strongly advised against polluting one's build environment on macOS with Homebrew and similar. Has this changed?
>
> --tml

Ok. Then in this case we better clean up the Wiki to explicitly declare *all* extra packages that are needed for a Minimal Build [1] and how they are supposed to be installed. The order of preference as I get it should be:

1. Manual download, configure & make install;
2. Some package management. Currently MacPorts is hinted on the Wiki, why not Homebrew too?

Another question would be, if gettext is a hard dependency, why not fetch it during the autogen.sh just like libboost&co. are? Did anyone try to do that and failed for some reason?

Regarding doxygen, that is a requirement only for the UNO libs right? Then in this case we should either not make it a hard dependency during the configure stage or make it obvious that it needs to be excluded manually via --without-doxygen otherwise autogen.sh will fail. I'm more inclined towards the former, if there's no outstanding reason against doing so.

I think it's important we get the default build working from top to bottom without pitfall, I already have mentee reports that tripped over this and never advanced, so I'd like to fix this.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac#Minimal_Setup <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac#Minimal_Setup>

Regards,
Shinnok