Let failed Jenkins builds set Verified: -1 in Gerrit?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 20:07:49 UTC 2017

On 01.12.2017 18:27, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:32 AM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On Thu Nov 30 08:25:40 UTC 2017, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> Does "(with a help of maintainers)" imply that there are change
>>> owners who could not override a VRFY-1 from Jenkins themselves?
>>
>> Yes. I believe that "registered users" group members will not be
>> able to remove VRFY-1 vote.
>
> I do not know of anyway, anyone can remove it using the ui, short of
> impersonating jenkins' user.
>
> the only available way to remove the -1 is to rebase the patch, since
> hte -1 is bound to the particular patcheset version...
> then hope that jenkins will not put another -1, or at least quickly
> +2/+1 the rebased patch and submit... neither are desirable.
>
> hence the choice of +1/0 rather than +1/-1 for jenkins.

so if the problem is that a -1 vote would block "submit" until it is
removed, and it can (because we don't want to give "admin" privs to
everyone) only be removed by the user that added the -1 vote, we could
add a "verified: -2" as a possible value that is never automatically
set, but only manually by somebody reviewing the build logs.

only the -2 would block "submit", the -1 could be overruled because it's
not the lowest value.

> For all practical purpose: 0 means jenkins has not yet try or was not
> successful.
> to submit one would have to manually add a verify +1. to do that you
> need to go the the change view, and jenkins activity or lack thereof
> is pretty apparent there.
>
> I suspect the intent is to quicky avoid changeset that failed
> jenkins... but then whether the change set has failed or has not yet
> been built, what is the difference wrt to avoiding going in the
> details of the change ?
> from a review perspective no verification or failed verification means
> the same thing: not ready

on the other hand i agree with Norbert that there isn't all that much
benefit to be gained over the status quo.

mainly the benefit would be that you could see on the search page which
changes have finished build logs that need investigating, those would be
the "verified: -1" ones.