AW: AW: tdf#108580: integrate vc_redist.exe into Windows installer

Fri Dec 15 09:53:04 UTC 2017

Hi Mike

>1. Creating a redirect at TDF side imposes additional load to our server infrastructure;
>2. Users will depend on reliability of TDF servers wrt this (in terms of their state, correctness of the link, and also possible man-in-the-middle problems with modified links pointing to malware) - note that LO downloads themselves are served from multiple mirrors, but this kind of redirection can't work using mirrors

I have mean directly from Microsoft not from TDF.

>3. Users would need internet connection at time of setup (which might not be there: many download the installer, to bring it somewhere where there's no Internet connection

I think that is not a big problem, the most have an Internet connection (and many App can't install without connection), but when not the installer gives a hint (only when needed), and the user should install the redist.

But any way, this is only a  suggestion, and has also weakness  (e. g. MS changes the link), the other case we have always up to date the vc_redist.exe.

Best
Juergen