LibreOfficeLight / iOS

Jon Nermut jon.nermut at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 22:56:44 UTC 2017

Hi Jan,
The way I understand it is that the static libs, the .a files, aren't
actually linked yet - they are just an archive of .o object files collected
together.
When you link the app with the static lib it has to do a full read of the
symbols in the .a file and write the relevant ones into the executable.
There are 1.3 million symbols in the .a file (from nm libKit_X86_64_debug.a
| wc -l )
Adding -print_statistics to the linker flags gives this:

           ld total time:  894.4 seconds ( 100.0%)
     option parsing time:   11.0 milliseconds (   0.0%)
  object file processing:    0.1 milliseconds (   0.0%)
         resolve symbols:  612.3 seconds (  68.4%)
         build atom list:    0.0 milliseconds (   0.0%)
                 passess:  486.3 milliseconds (   0.0%)
            write output:  281.6 seconds (  31.4%)
pageins=447127, pageouts=2622, faults=3099715
processed   7 object files,  totaling         476,732 bytes
processed   2 archive files, totaling     456,642,248 bytes
processed  32 dylib files
wrote output file            totaling     324,771,884 bytes

Eg most of the time is spent reading symbols from the .a file, and then
writing them into the executable.
I also played around of using ld independantly of XCode and just trying to
link the .a file with no app and no swift involved - times were about the
same.
So to improve the linking of the .a file I think the main game would be
reducing the number of symbols in the .a. Probably not that practical.

So what I think you will get with a Framework project is actually linking
the .a file, seperately to the application executable. That means you won't
have that full link every time you build the app, but only when the
framework needs to build. That's the theory, anyway.

iOS has allowed dylibs since iOS 8 and the introduction of Swift. In fact
you can't produce a static lib with Swift, only a dylib.
For our Pdfium wrapper we produce a static lib out of the Pdfium code
itself, and link that in a framework project with the swift wrappers, to
produce a dylib which is a swift module that can be imported into an app.
Beside the linking benefits this then gives you a nice encapsulated library
that is easy to consume from swift.

If I have time over the next couple of days I'll have a go at creating a
framework to see if it does actually behave as I expect.

Cheers

Jon