Confusion about i18npool.

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 20:31:41 UTC 2017

On 10.02.2017 20:37, Jan Iversen wrote:
> I have not specified anything with languages in my autogen.input, so I
> basically produce en-US packages, but looking at the log I see:
>
> [CXX]workdir/CustomTarget/i18npool/localedata/localedata_lo_LA.cxx
> [CXX]workdir/CustomTarget/i18npool/localedata/localedata_mai_IN.cxx
> [CXX]workdir/CustomTarget/i18npool/localedata/localedata_mdw_CG.cxx
>
> going on for all languages, this puzzled me.
>
> Why do we add that to a en-US build ? or is it merely an error in the
> build system.

locale data is important for things like number formats, currency
symbols, transliteration, numbering, calendar etc, all of which is
necessary to format document content properly.

people often want to look at documents with content in some foreign
language and even edit such documents without necessarily wanting the
whole UI to be translated to that language.