ide-integration project files placement

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Feb 21 11:01:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:54:42AM +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> I don't really use that, but - always feels wrong to write stuff into
> the source tree, any reason not to use workdir or instdir?

I agree in general. Note that I likely started this unhealthy trend as for
kdevelop, it indeed wasnt really possible to avoid writing to the source tree.

As noted in other replies, having a top-level "make clean" kill the solution
files is undesireable too. I wonder though, if for IDEs where this is possible
a separate top-level dir instead of sprinkling things all over the tree is
desireable? E.g. $(SRCDIR)/ide-solutions or $(SRCDIR)/vs{2013,2015,...).

Best,

Bjoern