make xcode-ide-integration, good news.

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 09:38:04 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 07:22:48AM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
> It is a matter if taste if you call it a simple list, but adding all header
> files present in the module (file listing) would allow the contributor to
> edit those.

Hey, you asked for "a simple file list", not me. ;)

> Adding an extra project with module "include" allows editing of the public
> header files. This is not only important for allowing edit but also if we
> want to use a git plugin.

So:

- so gbuild has only a very, very weak concept of a "module"
- our git has no concept of a "module"
- this is both a Good Thing(tm) that we should keep

There only is a _convention_ that the result of:

 git ls-tree -r --name-only HEAD <module> | grep -E '.h(|xx)$'
 git ls-tree -r --name-only HEAD include/<module>

belongs to <module> in one specific checkout of master. This is a _convention_,
not something that is or ever should be enforced in the build system. Also it
is not something that should be statically generated as adding a file to git is
all it takes to make that file part of the module and thus such a list is
easily outdated[1].

Best,

Bjoern

[1] see also: http://wiki.c2.com/?DontRepeatYourself