Gerrit: mark patches as waiting for review

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 10:37:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 10:17:56AM +0000, Kaganski Mike wrote:
> Sometimes, a patch that was thought by me as a correct patch (ant dso was
> submitted for review), turns out to need some rework; and then it goes
> through numerous iterations until it gets ready.

That should be avoided. Whatever you have on (public) gerrit should be ready
for review.

> I don't expect initial (or
> other) reviewers to spend their time to review each iteration, and I don't
> know of a way to make already submittes change s draft (except resubmitting
> another change, which isn't always desirable); so when ready, I mark it
> "CR+1"

As said: Please stop doing that, you are creating lots of extra work for
others. gerrit is for collaboration, if your code goes there it should be ready
for review. Stuff that isnt ready for review should not be there.

If all else fails, you should mark changes that you dont yet want to be
reviewed clearly marked in such a way in a form that is recognizable from the
gerrit list view, so that reviewer dont waste time on it. E.g. self-mark your
change as -2CR -- that will make most reviewers skip over your change[1].

tl,dr: If your patch is on gerrit, by default you ask for review. If you dont
       want that, its YOUR job to make sure the patch doesnt waste reviewers
       time (e.g. by a self-inflicted CR-2).

Best,

Bjoern

[1] Prefixing the commit message with "WIP" works too, but a self-inflicted
    -2CR is better as it can be queried and filtered for.