Pushing other people's patches to gerrit

Jan Iversen jani at documentfoundation.org
Tue Jan 3 17:14:10 UTC 2017

> I've heard already from 2 people that it is not possible for them to
> push other people's patches to gerrit; they get an error like:
>
> remote: ERROR:  In commit XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> remote: ERROR:  author email address YYY at YYY.ORG
> remote: ERROR:  does not match your user account.
>
> I wonder - what setting needs to be set for them so that they can push
> other people patches?  Or do they need to get the full push rights?
That would call for a third name field in git, right now Git knows Committer and Author…what you want is something like Committer, Author, Pusher (sorry for the name).

> And in general - what's the reason for such a restriction?  Why somebody
> cannot eg. backport somebody else's patch to a stable branch, even if
> they don't have full commit access yet (?) - the patch will be reviewed
> anyway…
They cannot cherrypick in gerrit, but they can cherrypick to their local system, build and test the patch (which we assume they do) and then submit the patch for the new branch. Remark in that process the original author is lost, again because git only has committer/author.

I have done the submit for quite a number of contributors (f.x. Heiko), all they need is to ask and it will be done

rgds
jan I.