Pushing other people's patches to gerrit

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jan 4 00:52:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 06:14:10PM +0100, Jan Iversen wrote:
> That would call for a third name field in git, right now Git knows Committer
> and Author…what you want is something like Committer, Author, Pusher (sorry
> for the name).

Of course, there is no such thing as a "Pusher". There is the author of the
work and the person that applies it to a specific state of the code
(committer).

> They cannot cherrypick in gerrit, but they can cherrypick to their local
> system, build and test the patch (which we assume they do) and then submit
> the patch for the new branch. Remark in that process the original author is
> lost, again because git only has committer/author.

This can be very misleading: Under no circumstances anyone should take actions
that change the authorship of changes. This should be clear for the future
and is and was the case in the present and past.

Best,

Bjoern