configuring gold as your linker

Noel Grandin noelgrandin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 08:21:11 UTC 2017

Hi

I know I tried this a while ago, and it simply didn't work. Various weird errors and crashes.

Well, the good news is that of these versions:

gold:
    GNU gold (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu 2.26.1) 1.11
gcc:
    gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4) 5.4.0 20160609
clang:
    clang version 5.0.0 (trunk 301922)

it works happily for me, finishing a make check and running LO without any issues under clang. I have not tested a
gcc-and-gold make-check to completion.

I haven't done any actual build-time measurements, but it sure seems to use a lot less RAM than the standard linker when
viewed in top.

Also, it is really easy to enable.

For clang, add this to your autogen.input:
    LDFLAGS=-fuse-ld=/usr/bin/gold
Assuming that /usr/bin is where gold is installed for you.
Referring to it without the full path does not appear to work for me with clang.

For gcc, add this to your autogen.input:
    LDFLAGS=-fuse-ld=gold

Regards, Noel Grandin.