GSoC Weekly Report 1: LibreOffice for Android - Gautam Prajapati

Gautam Prajapati gautamprajapati06 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:58:36 UTC 2017

Hello!

My initial tasks include improving the build system of LO Android.

For that, I tried to understand the modern Gradle + CMake system. I had to
compare it with current build system of LO and update the things necessary.

I understood the working of configure script and 'make' with the help of
Miklos.

Building for LibreOffice Android was tested for NDK versions up to r13b.
For the start, I tried building with latest NDK r14b version which was
successful without many issues. I updated the configure.ac for the same.
Link to the patch: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/38359/

GCC is now deprecated, so we want to update the current default - GCC 4.9
with Clang toolchain which is also used by modern CMake system.

I set the Clang toolchain as default for building in configure and tried to
build. Building with Clang toolchain is known to break the bridges/ module.

I tried to understand what exactly bridges/ does and modified some
low-level code in gcc3_linux_arm/ to get the build working. However, it is
in progress and status can be checked in this patch:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/38438/

After this, we are planning to switch to llvm's libc++ as STL instead of
GNU's libstd++. I researched on this over the long weekend, tried to build
but faced some conflicts with the headers. I'll write more on this in my
next report.

Regards,
Gautam Prajapati
IRC Nick: brainbreaker[m]