GSoC 2017 Introduction - Yash Srivastav - Integrating Common Print Interface

Yash Srivastav yash111998 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 11:00:28 UTC 2017

Hello Everyone,

I am Yash Srivastav, a Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate from
India.

I have been accepted in Google Summer of Code'17 under the *Linux
Foundation *for the project "*Common Print Interface*". Some part of my
work would involve working on libreoffice and integrating features of the
newer dialog interface into libreoffice (IPP network printers, Google Cloud
Printers).

The "*Common Printing Interface*" intends to be an universal drop-in
replacement for cups exposed via dbus. There can be many backends (cups,
google cloud print, etc.) and all their printers would be listed via dbus
calls. Adding a new printing mechanism would be as simple as writing a new
backend and the user installing it. No changes necessary to the LO code.

I am grateful to Caolán McNamara for having agreed to help me in case I
face any difficulties regarding Libreoffice codebase.

We were discussing and implementing the dbus interface till nearly half of
this month and now that its nearly stable, I've started working on the LO
codebase. My progress can be found here:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/38987/
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/38987/>
You can learn more about the project here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2017-openprinting-projects
<https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2017-openprinting-projects#common-print-dialog-for-desktop-applications-and-mobile-devices-up-to-3-4-students>

Regards,
Yash Srivastav