tdf#99352: explicit ctoring of VclPtrs?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Mar 7 14:07:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 02:58:31PM +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> I can't see how that would flush out any bugs.

E.g. In a local debug build I added metadata on where a VclPtr was created (via
__FILE__, __LINE__) so that I could learn where they were leaked from without
hunting them down individually in the debugger.

> What is more likely to flush out bugs (and what would make sberg very
> happy), would be to remove the current auto-conversion-to-T* operator, since
> that would make explicit the places where we are passing around raw pointers
> instead of VclPtr<T>

Yeah. :/

But in the end dont we want to have it locked down both ways: no VclPtr to raw*
conversion, nor the opposite? Likely were one happens, the other will happen too.

Anyway, not something I have too strong emotions about, just wanted to know, if
anyone cares before I throw away the branch.

Best,

Bjoern