[GSoC] Application to Improve the Notebookbar

Jean Bobine tpxp at live.fr
Mon Mar 20 21:41:32 UTC 2017

Hello !

My name is Thomas, I am 20 years-old and am currently a student at Ecole
Centrale Paris (a french engineering school, which will soon become
CentraleSupélec), and would love to help Libreoffice become even better
during my free time this summer.

I am found of computer programming ! I began programming at age of 14,
with a line in PHP (which, of course broke everything), but I kept on
trying, eventually fixed my mistake, learnt a lot, and now I'd like to
contribute to projects that really matter.

LibreOffice is, to me, the best office suite ever made. It simply works
and, best of all, it's free ! Also, I believe open source software is
awesome because it brings back to users the control they deserve over
what happens on their computers, and with the recent privacy scandals it
is clear to me that open source software should be more than ever used
everywhere.

That said, when I try to make people around me use LibreOffice, I have
to admit that the interface is not perfect. I recently had a talk with
my brother about it, he explained me that he had to work with
LibreOffice and that he -basically- hated it because he couldn't achieve
what he wanted to do. Actually, even if LibreOffice is quite powerful,
its user interface has gotten quite old and confusing compared to other
office suites that now include the ribbon, and enable users to easily
find what they want.

I see some work has been made to bring the ribbon to LibreOffice here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/NotebookBar , and I
would like to continue this work so that switching from Microsoft Office
to LibreOffice is easier and -hopefully- my brother will like this
software as much as it deserves to be !

I am not really sure about where to start, maybe it's a good idea to fix
some bugs about the Notebookbar first, like the cropping on resize.
Then, I think I will make the bar more customizable as suggested
(perhaps using what is already made for the current interface, so that
the switch is easier ?). I don't know much about the Libreoffice code
base for now, but I see it relies on GTK+, a toolkit I have already
played with.

I am not (yet?) a C++ guru, but I know C quite well. I have already
built a small project with C and GTK : it is a simple password
generator, a little bit buggy, but that basically works. You can get it
here if you want : https://tpxp.ddns.net/simpass.tar.gz . I also
contributed a little bit to other open source projects, as you can see
on my Github profile : https://github.com/TPXP . I was quite busy with
school until now, but this summer I will have a lot of free time, and
that's why I really want to start contributing !

I will be available from the beginning of June until July 24th, on which
I begin an internship at a company until September 1st. That said, I am
ready to work on Libreoffice on weekends and evenings, so I won't stop
at the end of July. I might also go on holiday with my family for two
weeks during June.

Thank you for your interest in my application, I hope we can work
together this summer to make Libreoffice even better !

Thomas P.