Re-using Calc formula evaluation engine & emscripten/webassembly port

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Mon Oct 16 09:16:40 UTC 2017

On 12/10/17 16:39, Riccardo Arzenton wrote:
> Something like you want to do already exists.

	=)

> LibreOffice Online is available in 3 versions: LibreOffice Online, CODE and Collabora Online
> The last version is not opensource, the other two are open source but they differ in the release process.

	As a correction, all of the source code for Collabora Online is open,
and published up-stream as FLOSS =)

	The idea is in itself not terribly silly to want to do calculation on
the client; however - as Markus says the code is not very susceptible to
this being very tightly coupled with our storage representation etc.

	The other thing is that - if there is a concern wrt. the server CPU
usage from re-calulation, there are lots and lots of things that can be
done to improve performance, parallelism, and to optimize Calc to reduce
that server-load (if that's what worries you). Server-side calculation
also appears to be what MS Office online uses.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot