ODFF1.2 GEOMEAN

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 13:44:54 UTC 2017

Hi Winfried,

On Thursday, 2017-09-14 09:18:23 +0200, Winfried Donkers wrote:

> As we now have changed GEOMEAN, I think it would be wise to try to improve ODFF1.2 as well for GEOMEAN.
>
> Verzonden: woensdag 26 juli 2017 12:06
>
> Geometric mean is defined as n-root( a1 * a2 * ... * an). This applies for n positive values a#.
> This is awkward to compute as overflow is lurking in case of large values a and a large number n.
> An alternative computation is given in ODFF, but the case of any value a# being 0 is not mentioned (result is then 0).
> Any a# with value is a geometrically valid situation, unlike negative values which do not have any geometric meaning AFAIK.
>
> I would propose an amendment of ODFF1.2 for GEOMEAN:
> Constraints: numbers >= 0
> Semantics: addition of Returns zero when one or more numbers have value 0.
>
> What's your opinion?

Isn't it rather that the product of all a# must be >=0 because of the
rootN?

Without reading statistics I have no idea if a single negative value may
make sense for GEOMEAN or is actually an error (like it is treated today
by both Calc and Excel). Do you happen to know?

  Eike

GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack