License information for extensions on LO's extension site

toki toki.kantoor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:42:04 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-31 11:52 a.m., Drew Jensen wrote:

> Just curious if the Templates will also require a license to be eligible for the TDF site.

I'd suggest that providing accurate information about the license for
templates is even more critical than for extensions.

I've come across a couple of templates whose intended usage is
implicitly prohibited by the crayon license that it is distributed under.

> Particularly in the case of templates with embedded scripts is not the license not valid if the user is not forced to agree to it?

That depends upon:
* the specific license: For example, GNU GPL 3.0 has no requirements for
a user to accept, or reject a license;
* the legal jurisdiction of the user: Both extension and template
licenses can be construed as "shrink wrap", and as such, not be legally
binding in some legal jurisdictions;

###

Licenses for template is extremely tricky, because they can
inadvertently govern the license that the created content can be
distributed under.

jonathon

jonathon