Compiler baselines (was: [Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...)

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Tue Jul 24 23:53:02 UTC 2018

Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> According to the feature matrix at
> <https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support>, bumping to GCC 7 and
> MSVC 2017 15.7 would give us almost complete C++17 support, which would of
> course be a great step forward.

oh nice!

> For the TDF Linux builds on CentOS 6 with Developer Toolset (where we
> currently use Deverloper Toolset 2 with GCC 4.8.2, IIUC), my understanding
> would be that Developer Toolset 7 with GCC 7 should be available to use
> instead (searching the web I found
> <https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/devtoolset-7/>)?

Two remarks - devtoolset-7 only seems to be available for x86_64, so
unless we invest some effort to get cross builds to work on linux (I
expect externals to be the real pain point here), this means
abandoning 32bit linux.

One of the upsides to not only update toolchain, but the entire
baseline builders (e.g. to CentOS 7) would be KF5 ('KDE5') support.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten