Compiler baselines

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 07:23:09 UTC 2018

On 25/07/18 01:53, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> For the TDF Linux builds on CentOS 6 with Developer Toolset (where we
>> currently use Deverloper Toolset 2 with GCC 4.8.2, IIUC), my understanding
>> would be that Developer Toolset 7 with GCC 7 should be available to use
>> instead (searching the web I found
>> <https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/devtoolset-7/>)?
>>
> Two remarks - devtoolset-7 only seems to be available for x86_64, so
> unless we invest some effort to get cross builds to work on linux (I
> expect externals to be the real pain point here), this means
> abandoning 32bit linux.

Good point.
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_developer_toolset/7/html-single/7.1_release_notes/>
explicitly mentions that "[g]eneration and manipulation of [x86] 32-bit
binaries is also supported", so cross compilation should work at least
in theory, but this may indeed be one more argument in favour of
dropping Linux x86 from at least the TDF-release matrix.  (Though other
distributions, like Flathub, may want to keep it alive for some time still.)