RFC to remove "Input Method Status" menu option and implementation

Tomaž Vajngerl quikee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:14:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

In Writer, File->View we have "Input Method Status" option, which is
for me in "disabled" status ~all the time and I guess for others too.
The gerrit patch in [1] has a proposal to remove this from the menu,
but before we proceed with that it would be good to get some consensus
if this is "safe" to do.

In the help file [2] it says this is only implemented for IIIMP IM
framework in Linux that wasn't really used much and quickly replaced
by SCIM and later with IBUS. If that's true this function doesn't work
practically for nobody. Looking into the code this depends on X11 and
isn't really implemented for anything else. X11 is already in the way
out itself.

If somebody is more familiar with this, can give more information
about it and if this would be safe to remove?

If we can agree with the removal, I'll apply the patch and remove the
code from VCL.

[1] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/55940/
[2] https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Input_Method_Status

Regards, Tomaž