Let failed Jenkins builds set Verified: -1 in Gerrit?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 10:00:31 UTC 2018

On 11/03/18 09:59, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Fri Mar 9 19:14:33 UTC 2018, Eike Rathke wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, 2018-03-06 10:09:22 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>>> for a Gerrit change on which I'm listed as reviewer, I do get mails
> for mine
>>> and all other people's comments, just not for comments from Jenkins.
>>
>> Same here. I also don't get Jenkins comments mails for changes in
> areas
>> that touch my Watched Projects list (under Settings), even though
>> I ticked All Comments for each entry there as well.
>
> You and Stephan tell us, that you do want to be notified from
> Jenkins and get all that spam (on start job and finish job, and re-
> scheduled verification on rebases, and fixed patch sets in case first
> 17 verifications failed). Other developers told us the wuite the
> opposite: shutdown the notification firehose and stop spam reviewers.

What I originally asked for is indeed something quite different (see
below).  I understand that Christian offered this "spamming from
Jenkins" as a mitigation for the problems I reported (lack of feedback
on failed Jenkins/Gerrit builds), and I answered that that mitigation
does not work.

> But let us do a step back and re-visit this thread: the actual
> problem we are trying to solve is a different one: a missing
> feedback from Jenkins on failed verifications jobs. Let me repeat
> this again: the LibreOffice Gerrit-Jenkins setup deviates from
> the standard recommended setup, by preventing voting Verified-1 on
> failed builds.
>
> That was an oversight, as confirmed by infra team, and in case of
> false negative, Verified-1 vote can be easily removed by anyone, who
> was granted the Remove Revievers ACL. In recent gerrit versions, I
> even added "Delete Vote" feature, that let you preserve the reviewer
> on a change, and only remove the vote. I would like to re-new my
> call and ask infra team (again) to enable voting Verified-1 on failed
> verifications.
>
> My proposal to solve that for now and avoid future discussions:
>
> 1. Grant "Remove Reviewer" ACL to stewards group: [5]. That way many
> devs are able to drop the wrong vote, and someone is always on the IRC.
> 2. Re-configure Jenkins Trigger Plugin set-up and enable voting of
> Verified-1 on failed jobs.

Sounds good to me.