Upstream clang compiler plugins, licensing

Tamás Zolnai zolnaitamas2000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:36:32 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I plan to work on clang static analyzer in the next monthes and I'm
wondering whether how we can move some of the LO's compiler plugins to
upstream.

As I see LO's license is not compatible with LLVM license [1], as LLVM
license is a more permissive license which allows to make the code part of
a proprietary software for example. So I just wonder what is the best way
to integrate things to clang from LO, either as a compiler plugin or a
static analyzer check.

An idea might be to relicense the compilerplugin code with the LLVM
license, which means additional administration of course, but would make
reusing the code much easier. However I'm not sure this is the best way to
solve this licensing incompatibility.

Any idea is appreciated here or any experience with upstreaming to an open
source software with incompatible license.

Thanks,
Tamás

[1] https://opensource.org/licenses/NCSA