[TDF infra] Announcing Gitiles VCS browser (gitweb replacement) and https:// anon git URIs

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 12:05:27 UTC 2018

Hi Guilhem,

On Wednesday, 2018-10-17 04:27:54 +0200, Guilhem Moulin wrote:

>   * diff: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/master%5E%21/
>     vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=refs/heads/master

For diffs I much prefer the gerrit view because it highlights changes
within changed lines, for example

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/9672d034b9e760f24ac9a6652ab45dee15ee260a%5E%21/

vs

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=9672d034b9e760f24ac9a6652ab45dee15ee260a

Would that be possible also with gitiles?

> Lastly, it's now possible to clone and fetch git repositories over
> https:// .  While git:// URLs will remain supported for the foreseeable
> future, they're intentionally no longer advertised in gerrit, and we
> encourage you to upgrade the scheme of your ‘remote.<name>.url’ to
> secure transports (SSH for authenticated access, or HTTPS for anonymous
> access).  We'll update ‘lode’ and chase remaining git:// URLs shortly.

Why is git:// deprecated? From what I know it's more efficient when
fetching/pulling than https:// (or ssh://?)

  Eike

GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A