[TDF infra] Announcing Gitiles VCS browser (gitweb replacement) and https:// anon git URIs

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Oct 22 09:51:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 09:03:45PM +0200, Guilhem Moulin wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 14:05:27 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 2018-10-17 04:27:54 +0200, Guilhem Moulin wrote:

>>> Lastly, it's now possible to clone and fetch git repositories over
>>> https:// .  While git:// URLs will remain supported for the foreseeable
>>> future, they're intentionally no longer advertised in gerrit, and we
>>> encourage you to upgrade the scheme of your ‘remote.<name>.url’ to
>>> secure transports (SSH for authenticated access, or HTTPS for anonymous
>>> access).  We'll update ‘lode’ and chase remaining git:// URLs shortly.

>> Why is git:// deprecated? From what I know it's more efficient when
>> fetching/pulling than https:// (or ssh://?)

> Since v1.6.6 it's no longer true [0], cf. git-http-backend(1) and
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Working-with-Remotes

That webpage doesn't seem to contain a discussion of the efficiency of
the various protocols.

> We're using the so-called “smart” HTTP protocol, with a
> git-upload-pack(1) service on the server.

Interesting. Didn't know that. I'll fight less hard to use git: now.

> SSH is only used for transport, a git processed is exec()'ed on the
> remote just like for git-daemon(1), so the only overhead is
> crypto-related.  The handshake is a one-off thing, thus negligible
> when you're transferring a large amount of data at once; (...) As
> for symmetric crypto overhead, (...) the overhead should be
> negligible.

All I know is that about 1/2/3 years ago ('t was I think in some
coworking space in Brussels, probably a hackfest) I showed Michael
Meeks how to have a separate "push" url (with ssh: protocol) and
"pull" url (with git: protocol) and he was very happy at the
speed-up.

--
Lionel