LibreOffice Impress Presentation Server

Sergi Baila sergibaila at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:49:14 UTC 2018

Hello,

TL;DR: I need advice on how to build a "LibreOffice Impress Presentation Server" to control from another app a presentation on a secondary screen.

The long story

First, some background. I am a freelance developer and I have a customer on the retail sector. They have retail stores with POS computers (more or less standard Windows PCs). They are replacing old ones with new models featuring two screens: the main work screen (facing the clerk) and a secondary small screen (facing the customer).

Now they want to use this new secondary screen. The idea is to be able to show presentations (.odp/.ppt files) on a loop with ads, promotions or other useful information. There is also the requirement to show some information during a sale (current item, accumulated total, etc.).

What to show (presentation file and current sale information) are to be provided automatically by the current app (a Java app running on a local Tomcat). That's because the content is to be distributed remotely through an existing server infrastructure.

This needs to work in the background while the main screen remains available for everyday use as always.

Given all these requirements I'm thinking of something on the line of what I call a "LibreOffice Impress Presentation Server". A standalone app (LibreOffice impress) which can receive commands (REST?) regarding which information to show on the secondary screen. I am also open to any other alternative (like an embedded Java engine?).

I think of an standalone product because I have green light to create it as an open source project. I can also use external contractors fully or partially.

Any ideas, suggestions or advice?

Thank you very much for reading all of this! :-)

---
Sergi Baila
https://sargue.net/cv/