Gitiles VCS browser

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 15:06:30 UTC 2019

On 06.04.2019 17:18, Luke Benes wrote:
> Mike,
> That is not an apples to apples comparison. In your browser open and compare side-by-side:
>
> https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/6a9cf9ba2d37fee9b7c2f190b347e0d7c4a2676a
> and
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=6a9cf9ba2d37fee9b7c2f190b347e0d7c4a2676a
>
> Do you really like all of the extraneous information?

Do you mean the tree below? Well - it doesn't hurt me. But if it went
away (with a link to easily reach the tree from that page), I'd not protest.

> Do you like the missing search bar?

It doesn't matter *for me*, because I don't use it anyway. But I can see
how people might miss it.

> Do you like having to scroll down several pages to see the relevant information?

I don't quite get that. Which information on that page requires to
scroll down several pages in gitiles, which does not on cgit?

> Do you like the lack of a search bar?

This is not the fourth argument, but rather the second ;-)

> Besides the fact, these are not what the commits look like on our bug trackers. From
>
> https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/bf2f0c913774c90e4c9a65119d0219187bb4498c%5E%21
> while the old cgit would be
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=bf2f0c913774c90e4c9a65119d0219187bb4498c
>
> Now try to copy the commit ID from the gitiles and do the same for the cgit URL. Do you really prefer the random symbols appended to the end? I can tell you git does not and will puke if you accidentally include any of them.

For me, double-clicking commit number in the address bar in Chrome on
Windows (e.g., between b and f in the URL above), selects the commit ID
without the trailing part. Well - of course, if the commit diff were
right on that initial page without ^! (after the changed files list),
I'd also not protest.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski