benchmark of Excel, Calc, Google Docs

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Sat Dec 7 19:50:00 UTC 2019

Hi Sajjadur Rahman,

On 07/12/2019 18:44, Rahman, Sajjadur wrote:
> Thanks a lot for reaching out and for providing detailed feedback on the
> report. All of these comments will help in further augmenting/updating
> our report.

	Great.

> We are definitely interested in learning more about Calc and
> also sharing our ideas on DB+Spreadsheet integration. I am currently
> traveling and will send you a detailed response CCing the entire
> DataSpread team. We are also cleaning up the repo and the macros and
> will definitely share those ASAP. There are a number of valid concerns
> that have been raised and need further examination---thanks for pointing
> those out.

	Good stuff, I look forward to that. Ultimately I would love to get some
C++ versions of these that we can run in our valgrind test suite:

	https://perf.libreoffice.org/

	Which was created by another heroic voluteer: Markus Mohrhard.

> We didn't even get a response from one of the other tools compared in
> the report when we reached out to them. So many thanks for taking our
> effort seriously and providing important details about Calc.

	Well - you can see the volunteer project cares about performance, is
interested in technical excellence - and of course attracting smart
cookies like yourselves to get involved and help us improve things.

	From a quick skim, I don't see why any of your DataSpread design goals
cannot be achieved on top of calc - they overlap with things we'd like
to do but have no time to get to (modulo discarding the core in favor of
a SQL database =) - but then viewing large databases in Calc is
something that would be rather cool ;-).

	All the best,

		Michael.

--
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, GM Collabora Productivity