Trying to put LO Firebird patches upstream, license issue?

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Feb 11 09:45:10 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 11:16:11PM +0100, Julien Nabet wrote:
> On 09/02/2019 21:33, Kaganski Mike wrote:

>> Hmm... I'm sorry for not being clear. My point was that since our
>> patches (in our tree) were changing Firebird, they *automatically*
>> follow Firebird license - or otherwise we couldn't have modified
>> it. So I meant that whatever LibreOffice licensing is, the patches
>> in Firebird External subdirectory are already license-compatible
>> with upstream Firebird.

> So it seems, there may be some issue to use external patches. I
> don't anything about law, even less in international law, so I won't
> try to put any external patches upstream.

Julien, what Mike is saying is that there is *no* legal / licensing
issue to upstream the firebird external patches now in the LibreOffice
code tree, since per the firebird licence, the people that wrote those
patches already agreed to putting them under the same licence as
firebird.

I have no reason not to believe Mike; we might want to mail the
authors anyway, just to be legally sure they don't oppose the
upstreaming; I cannot imagine any of them would.

Best Regards,

Lionel