need help to insert an image with a caption with the Libo java API

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:42:19 UTC 2019

On 13.02.2019 12:45, Miklos Vajna via LibreOffice wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 09:27:15AM +0000, LORENZO Vincent <vincent.lorenzo at cea.fr> wrote:
>> I would like to add a caption, to an inserted image in a text
>> document, but I don't find how to do that... Please do you have
>> pointer/documentation for me ?
>
> I think captions are just a UI feature. The doc model just stores a text
> frame around the image and the image is followed by the caption itself.
>
> (I.e. later it's not possible to reliably detect if some content around
> an image in a frame was created by hand or using the captions UI code.)
>
> So you can do the same "manually" using the UNO API. When in doubt, see
> what UNO API the ODT import uses to create the doc model based on the
> input markup.

And actually, if an image is not intended to be floating, but (as seen
in majority of cases) is a part of normal text flow, then the frame
could be not needed at all - simply add an image anchored as character,
then add a paragraph with required style and numbering range field, then
continue with other paragraphs. This makes the document structure
clearer. Just an advise based on own experience.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski