Possible extensions to OUString class

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 21:40:09 UTC 2019

On 30/01/2019 22:17, Matteo Casalin wrote:
>      I'm working on improving code that calls getToken (e.g. using its
> version with index, or using other OUString functions in its place when
> possible).
> One thing that I noticed is that there are a lot of calls in the form
> getToken().toInt# which require memory management just to obtain a value
> that could be generated by the original OUString. Similarly (but less
> frequently), some tokens are extracted just to compare them against a
> string, which again requires memory management that is really not needed.
>
> I was wondering if extending O(U)String with functions like:
>
> * getTokenAs[U]Int#(token, sep, index)
> * matchToken(token, sep, index, string)
>
> would be accepted/appreciated or not. At the moment I already submitted
> to gerrit a patch [1] which adds comphelper::string::matchToken but I
> think that adding such functionality to OUString directly would be
> nicer. Also, introducing getTokenAsInt in OUString would likely allow to
> reuse its toInt code.

Sounds a bit too special-purpose to be worth adding, IMO.  Would those
optimizations really make a measurable difference?

Also, a better approach overall would probably be some string_view-based
getToken functionality (converting from an OUString to a string_view is
cheap), and then string_view-based toInt etc. functions.