Possible extensions to OUString class

Matteo Casalin matteo.casalin at libreoffice.it
Wed Jan 30 21:17:11 UTC 2019

Dear all,
     I'm working on improving code that calls getToken (e.g. using its
version with index, or using other OUString functions in its place when
possible).
One thing that I noticed is that there are a lot of calls in the form
getToken().toInt# which require memory management just to obtain a value
that could be generated by the original OUString. Similarly (but less
frequently), some tokens are extracted just to compare them against a
string, which again requires memory management that is really not needed.

I was wondering if extending O(U)String with functions like:

* getTokenAs[U]Int#(token, sep, index)
* matchToken(token, sep, index, string)

would be accepted/appreciated or not. At the moment I already submitted
to gerrit a patch [1] which adds comphelper::string::matchToken but I
think that adding such functionality to OUString directly would be
nicer. Also, introducing getTokenAsInt in OUString would likely allow to
reuse its toInt code.

looking forward to your feedback.
Matteo

[1] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/66935/