How do various apps and DEs handle the primary selection?

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Mon Jul 8 10:46:29 UTC 2019

Hi Miklos

Am 08.07.19 um 09:22 schrieb Miklos Vajna:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 01:07:38AM +0200, Jan-Marek Glogowski <glogow at fbihome.de> wrote:
>> And Writer clears it when a Shell closes, while Calc (~ScTabView) and Draw
>> (:~View) clear it when the view is closed. But I'm a bit confused by the terms
>> Shell and View and then there is even a ViewShell...
>
> A "shell" on its own is not clear. An object shell usually refers to an
> SfxObjectShell sublcass, there is one instance for one opened document.
> If you go to Window -> New Window, you can have multiple views for the
> same document. Then you get multiple SfxViewShell subclasses.

I like the term "usually" in the first sentence ;-)

> In the Writer case, the subclasses are called SwDocShell and SwView.

My understanding has been, that a View displays stuff and a Shell manages input
for the View; kind of. Can there be a Shell without a View? Does that even make
sense?

And then there is "class SwViewShell : public sw::Ring<SwViewShell>" with no
SfxShell anywhere I can see it.

> BTW, did you try 'make gbuildtojson' recently? :-) It was broken on
> master in this range:
>
> git log 4154d281fbecaadf6cd118c00cc6cff929e339a4..1e4fa857873c0bc728143087ec692c4b75aaf820 -- solenv

Should be fixed by https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/75197 AFAI can verify.

Jan-Marek