Need for new x86 Jenkin's Bot

Luke Benes lukebenes at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 15:01:41 UTC 2019

Christian,

The decision was to demote release builds, but NOT to remove x86 compatibility. If you take this as an excuse to also end x86 CI testing bots, you are effectively killing x86 through bit rot. This is not a hypothetical. As you know, @87 just recently caught a regression introduced by an easyHack to convert use of sal_uLong to better integer types. Without CI testing, these bugs will pile up effectively removing x86 compatibility.

In a past job, I have seen how building code against multiple architectures uncovers latent bugs and code portability. This philosophy made ARM and RISC ports much easier along with higher quality software.

If we chose to go down the path of killing x86, we should discuss it. While I agree that overhead of x86 release build may not be worth it, the advantages of maintaining a working x86 build are clear.  My suggestion would be to upgrade @87 to CentOS 7 or Debian 9.0 before bit rot makes this a difficult task. Currently master has no problem building on 32-bit Fedora 30.

-Luke