Building libreoffice headless

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Thu Jun 13 22:26:11 UTC 2019

Am 13.06.19 um 20:07 schrieb James Carbine:

>> That info might be completely out of date. It refers to 4.4, which is a few
>> years old. But then I never build without GUI. As you may know there is the
>> LibreOffice Online version since a few years[1]. That can run in a docker
>> container on a server. But I don't know if it really is build without any GUI
>> libraries at all. I never used it.
> I tried building with the flag and it failed. But it is also entirely
> possible that I did it wrong.

I was told today that for 6.3 the build used to work with --disable-gui (I still
didn't test this). From "./configure --help":

Disable use of X11 or Wayland to reduce dependencies. Not related to the
--headless command-line option. Not related to LibreOffice Online functionality.
Don't use unless you are certain you need to. Nobody will help you if you insist
on trying this and run into problems.

Doesn't sound encouraging.

>> It's not clear what that means for you. No gui libraries linked or no running
>> gui reqired.
>
> We are deploying to a shared machine that does not have the X11
> libraries available(or rather are prohibited). We are trying to build
> LibreOffice without X in a way that we can then replicate for a Debian
> package build that does not require X11 as a dependency. The resulting
> package will be deployed to a headless server environment.

I see. Then I think it's the best to contract some LO professional support, if
you don't plan to do the development yourself. It would be nice to get this
fixed and supported upstream without this "scary" help comment :-)

Jan-Marek