soffice headless on server consumes 100% CPU

Manfred Rebentisch mrebentisch at comparat.de
Thu May 23 10:47:44 UTC 2019

Hi Jan-Marek,

Am 23.05.19 um 12:29 schrieb Jan-Marek Glogowski:> Hi Manfred,

> Am 23.05.19 um 06:29 schrieb Manfred Rebentisch:
>> if I call the headless mode:
>>
>> # /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice  --headless --nologo --norestore
>>  --accept="uno:socket,host=localhost,port=2083;urp" &
>>
>> then the computer needs all its power for that software. top shows 100%
>> and the fans working hard.
>>
>> What is wrong with this mode?
>
> You probably just found a bug. Please file a report[1].
>
> 6.0 had a larger rewrite of the internal job scheduler, which broke stuff,
> resulting in some busy loops.

I just use the ubuntu repositories for installation, no own builds.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic main restricted universe
multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

Version on Ubuntu: LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 00m0(Build:3)

Same problem on Debian Stretch server:

apt install openjdk-8-jre  openjdk-8-jre-headless
apt install libreoffice --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests
apt install libreoffice-l10n-de

 # soffice --version
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 20m0(Build:2)

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free

I am new to the libreoffice world.

I think, it is not a new bug but a mistake in waiting for request
(--accept mode), so we get an endless loop.

> What happens if you use SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=svp (that shouldn't be needed)?

Where to set SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN ?

>> # soffice --version
>> LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 00m0(Build:3)
>
> I guess you build that version on your own?

Perhaps is that the way, I have to go?

Can I use the standard libreoffice on my notebook and parallel use the
new version with own compiling?

> Nevertheless 6.0 is EOL, so you won't get fixes for it[2].
>
> I suggest to test at least with 6.2 and probably even current development[3,4],
> as even 6.1 will be EOL soon, before filing a bug.
>
> If you need a fix for that specific version, there is also professional support[5].
>
> HTH
>
> Jan-Marek
>
> [1] https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/
> [2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/6.0