macOS support; agenda item ESC

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Mon Apr 27 07:58:31 UTC 2020

On Saturday 25 of April 2020, Thorsten Wagner wrote:
> (2) I am not sure whether SKIA is really working on macOS. Although I have
> not investigated this in detail, my understanding is that SKIA is currently
> only implemented for Linux and Windows. If this is correct SKIA preference
> option is misleading for macOS. For macOS SKIA is an interesting option as
> Open GL is deprecated on macOS and SKIA has Metal support. On the other
> hand Open GL should not be disabled until a replacement has been
> implemented for macOS too.

 It's important to differentiate between Skia (or OpenGL) and LO VCL backends
using them. Currently the only VCL backends that use Skia or OpenGL are
the 'win' and 'gen' backends, which means Skia or OpenGL can be used only on
Windows or on Unix with the gen backend that ~nobody uses in practice.

 Other VCL backends such as the Mac one can be presumably made to use these
too. I haven't done anything with Skia related to Mac because I don't have a
Mac.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com