RFC: Make Python warnings fatal in --enable-werror mode

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 12 14:56:51 UTC 2020

Hi!

Recently I started to see new warnings from Python when building core:

>     zipfile.py:1517: UserWarning: Duplicate name: 'cmd/ar/sc_bulletsandnumberingdialog.png'

They have been introduced by commit
a8c3addfce4df0fa8278d83764148d4aec40b36e.

IMO, it looks natural (?) to treat Python warnings as errors when we use
--enable-werror. Having that would prevent introduction of new warnings
like that. So I have prepared
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/100268 to do that.

The change allows overriding it in a particular build, e.g. calling
`PYTHONWARNINGS=default make`.

Please comment if this is OK, or is a bad idea. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski