About preparing migration towards gtk4

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Sat Dec 19 14:47:58 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 19.12.20 um 15:14 schrieb Dante Doménech:
> Most linux distributions release versions once a year or two years.
So?
> I wouldn't expect it to have support until a couple of years.
> So isn't it a bit early to implement support? I mean, nothing will be
> compatible with it.

It doesn't only count what distributions *currently* ship. What counts
is that in those years GNOME might want to switch to gtk4 (no idea
whether that is the case or not) and that is a matter for those
distiributions.

By your reasoning one wouldn't fix build breakages with newer libs or
newer gcc or whatever because distros don't *yet* ship it

There's not only stuff in deb format/rpms on tdf.org, there's also
packages in distributions proper.

And if a future GNOME used gtk4 we should have a -gtk4 backend.

Regards,

Rene