About preparing migration towards gtk4

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Sat Dec 19 15:22:15 UTC 2020

Am 18.12.20 um 22:46 schrieb julien2412:
> Gtk4 has been released 2 days ago, I know that migration from a version to
> another version is not a 1 month work, but thought it could be interesting
> and it can't hurt the current state of LO to begin to prepare it by
> following:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk4/4.0/gtk-migrating-3-to-4.html#id-1.7.4.3.
> I don't pretend I'd be able to propose some patches because I know nothing
> about gtk but if I find some low hanging fruits, is it ok and/or does it
> worth it to submit some?
>
> Any thoughts?

Just a reminder. The migration guide starts with "... you should first
get your application to build and work with the latest minor release in
the 3.24 series.", and we just updated the baseline from 3.18 to 3.20.

So I don't see much of a point for this cleanup in the current gtk3
subdir. If you want to spend time on it, create a gtk4 dir with the gtk3
content and start a port with a cleanup and gtk3 3.24. I guess a lot of
compatibility stuff is still missing from the older gtk3 versions.

That would also be my suggestion for a qt6 port ;-)

Jan-Marek