About preparing migration towards gtk4

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sun Dec 20 17:01:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-12-18 at 14:46 -0700, julien2412 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Gtk4 has been released 2 days ago, I know that migration from a
> version to another version is not a 1 month work, but thought it
> could be interesting and it can't hurt the current state of LO to
> begin to prepare it by following:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk4/4.0/gtk-migrating-3-to-4.html#id-1.7.4.3
> .
> I don't pretend I'd be able to propose some patches because I know
> nothing about gtk but if I find some low hanging fruits, is it ok
> and/or does it worth it to submit some?

I think so yes. Replacing gtk_hbox_new/gtk_vbox_new with gtk_box_new is
one that looks trivial to do. I feel replacing gtk_container_add with
gtk_box_pack_start/gtk_grid_attach is probably another fairly easy
hack.

With https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/108050 I'll drop the never
completed GtkSalPrinter which drops a bunch of stuff that
-DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags as deprecated
which brings the warnings/errors there down to manageable levels.